Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17, Stage 15: Limoux - Montpellier 187 km

I'm using this picture of Jelle Vandendert in the KOM jersey for no other reason than I like it. There were no mountains on today's stage. To be honest, there wasn't much of anything going on stage 15, which is never a good thing.

There was a breakaway, that did some work, but it wasn't overly interesting, which was kind of a bummer. Mostly I like flat stages and breaks, but today was one of those exception days. I don't know that anyone liked today's stage, except maybe HTC (bah).

I know some people had talked about the break staying away today, even though it was a flatish stage because everyone was so tired and ready for the rest day tomorrow. Unfortunately for everyone, the sprinter's teams were in the mood to go after the break and so they did. There was some weirdness involving Gilbert, apparently Phil loves his suicide attacks enough to throw them in wherever he sees fit. Sadly, it didn't work and once again he's no closer to the green jersey.

It was the HTC train that dominated this stage. I've staid this before and I'll say it again, I am sick and tired of the train. Either the rest of the sprinters need to get their own trains or ... I don't know. The only thing I can hope is that HTC folds and the riders are spread out onto different teams. It's just not really fun to watch the HTC train leading out Cav every since time. I know, there are Cav fans who like it, but it just doesn't make for good racing at all.

Tomorrow's a rest day, which I'm pretty sure all the cyclists are looking forward to. Tuesday's an uphill stage before everything goes really up up and then up some more. Hopefully we'll have a fun break on Tuesday. It can't be worse than today's stage.

No comments: