Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 25, Stage 20: Longjumeau - Paris 102.5km

I've had more than enough time to think about this stage, about the Tour. The stage itself was uneventful, the result a disappointment. Perhaps, had this been 2009 instead of 2010 and I still liked Cavendish, I wouldn't have been so annoyed. But it's not last year. It's 2010 and as much as I enjoy watching cycling, I'm really quite happy that the Tour de France is over for another year. Granted, it's been over for 11 days, but I haven't wanted to talk about it at all. So this is me, pulling my own teeth to get this post written before it ends up being December or something.

The KOM was disappointing, but at least he was French. The younger rider was Andy Schleck, who shouldn't even have been on contention, but was, thanks to all that bullshit his teammate Cancellara pulled in the second stage. Contador was the winner, worthy or not is not really important. Chaingate, as it's called, was utterly stupid and these pro cyclists need to stop trying to be nice. It's a race, not a lesiure ride, get over yourselves and embrace the fact that you're RACING. But apparently that's too much to ask (of the cyclists and apparently the fans).

The best thing about this whole tour was Sylvain Chavanel, followed closely by Quick Step and French riders winning. Obviously, I clearly want more from the tour. But two stages, two yellow jerseys, a KOM and, in the end, the most aggressive rider were even more than I could hope for. I think, perhaps next year, I need to work harder at not caring. There were many times when I just wanted to throw my hands up in frustration because it was obvious to me that I wasn't enjoying the racing.

Hopefully with team shake ups upcoming, with doping allegations going on and no Armstrong next year, things will be better. I know this is a short entry, but I'm tired of the Tour. I'm tired of all of this bullshit that comes with being a fan who actually cares about, you know, a race. For a moment, before Contador chicken the fuck out, I thought maybe we were in for something special. Sadly, this Tour didn't have that. And anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is wrong.

How I became a bitter cycling fan is a story for another day.

No comments: